Kyoshin Language Academy

  • HOME
  • support life in time

support life in time

Living expenses

The average monthly cost for a student living in Japan (including tuition) is as follows:


Compared to other cities, life in Tokyo is slightly more expensive. Japan has an outstanding national health insurance system that even foreign students can join immediately after entering the country. The cost is calculated based on your yearly income. Since most students do not have a large income (excluding scholarships), standard cost is only 9,000 yen to 13,000 yen for an entire year. By obtaining Japan’s National Health Insurance, you can receive a medical examination at any clinic or hospital in the country, and will have to pay only 30% of your medical and medicine costs. The remaining 70% will be covered by your health insurance.

In addition, foreign students are allowed to work approved part-time jobs while attending school in Japan. Ordinarily, income from a part-time job is sufficient to cover cost-of-living expenses. Before beginning a part-time job, you must first receive a special permission from the Japanese immigration office. This permission is usually issued under normal circumstances.

With this work permission, Japanese language students, university students, and graduate students (including research students) will be able to work a maximum of 28 hours per week while attending classes. It is possible to work up to 8 hours per day during long-term school holidays.

Students can use the internet and job search publications when looking for a part-time job. These types of publications can easily be purchased in most bookstores and train stations. There are numerous free publications as well.


Medical insurance

Foreigners who will be staying in Japan for a period of more than 1 year must obtain “National Health Insurance”. Please register for National Health Insurance at your local city or ward office and pay the insurance premium. The insurance premium must be paid monthly once registration is completed. The premium varies according to local councils and one’s income. However, most of the time, the premium is about 20,000 yen per year. Once registered with the National Health Insurance, you will only need to pay 30% of your total medical bills. When receiving treatment for injuries or illnesses, you will have to present your insurance card to be eligible for the discounted payment. Take note that medical costs for treatments not covered under the National Health Insurance must be paid in full at your own expense.


Property and Casualty Insurance

Benefits covering medical treatment for injuries incurred from accidents that are not covered by health insurance, medical treatment for injuries to other people, and compensation for property damage are provided by Accident Insurance and Individual Compensation Insurance.
OLJ provides Property and Casualty Insurance to its students which covers accidents that happen at school, on the way to school, and during school events.

Tuberculosis screening

Some public health center gives free tuberculosis screening once a year in June or October.

Daily life of a current student

My day

Wake up, eat breakfast, and get ready
Leave home and go to school.
Take the train for about 25 minutes
Learn Japanese with students from many different countries.
Have lunch with friends after school.
Part-time job
Return home and eat dinner I made myself!
Study! Sometimes later on the night before a test!
Review material covered in class today.
Ask roommate about anything I don’t understand.